Lesson 4 Careers
Different people have different kinds of careers. There are many different kinds of careers and jobs to choose from. People have a wide choice of occupations they can do. Different careers require different kinds of responsibilities and duties. Different careers require different kinds of skills and abilities. They have different educational requirements and qualifications. Not everyone is suitable for every kind of career.
Think about these different careers. What kinds of skills and abilities does each one require? What educational requirements do they have? What kinds of responsibilities and duties do people who do these kinds of jobs have?
- Veterinarian - Software designer - Police officer - Pilot - Author
Read about five people and their careers.
George: Hi, I’m George. I’m a veterinarian. I like to help sick animals. I need to be able to use a lot of tools and instruments in my job. Sometimes I have to do operations on animals. Other times I need to check their condition or give them an injection. After high school, I went to college for four years. My major was animal biology. After college, I went to veterinary school for four years. Now, I have my own animal clinic. I really enjoy my job. I like working with animals and enjoy talking to their owners.
Claudia: Hi, my name is Claudia. I’m a computer software designer. I design computer software. I use a computer everyday at work. I have to type a lot of information. I also need to think about how to solve a variety of complicated problems.
After high school I went to college for four years. My major was computer science. After college, I found a job in a software company. I have worked there for ten years.
I like my job. I like to use my imagination to design new programs and to edit old ones.
Graham: Hi, my name is Graham. I’m a police officer. My job is to help people. I drive a patrol car. Sometimes we have to arrest people who break the law and take them to the police station. After high school, I went to police college for four years. After college, I got a job in the police force in a city near where my parents live. I have been a police officer for twenty years. I really love my job. Being a police officer is very rewarding. I like to help people. I feel I am doing something worthwhile.
Bruce: Hi, my name is Bruce. I’m a pilot. My job is to fly an airplane. I usually fly international routes from the USA to Europe. After high school, I joined the Air Force. In the Air Force I learned how to fly planes. I was in the Air Force for fifteen years. After the Air Force, I got a job as a commercial pilot with a big airline. I have worked there for about nine years. I love my job. It is exciting and I enjoy traveling.
Melissa: Hi, my name is Melissa. I’m an author. I write children’s books. I usually write about three or four books a year. I write stories for children in elementary school. I also do my own illustrations. After high school I went to college. My major was elementary education. After college, I went to graduate school. My major was English literature. I love writing children’s stories. I like to be creative and use my imagination.
1. What is George’s job?
2. What does he need to use?
3. What does he need to do?
4. What did he do after high school?
5. Does he like his job? Why?
6. What is Claudia's job?
7. What does she have to do at work?
8. What did she do after high school?
9. What was her major?
10. What did she do after college?
11. Does she like her job? Why?
12. What is Graham's job?
13. What does he have to do at work?
14. What did he do after high school?
15. What did he do after college?
16. How does he feel about his job?
17. What does Bruce do?
18. Where does he usually fly?
19. What did he do after high school?
20. How long has he been a pilot?
21. Does he like his job? Why?
22. What is Melissa's job?
23. What does she do?
24. What did she do after high school?
25. What were her majors?
26. Does she like her job? Why?
1. George is a veterinarian. He loves animals. Do you love animals? Which ones?
2. Which animals do you dislike? Why do you dislike them?
3. Claudia works with computers. Do you have a computer? What do you use it for?
4. How do you feel about computers? Why are they useful?
5. Graham is a police officer. Would you like to have his job? Why?
6. What dangers might a police officer have to face in his job?
7. Bruce is a pilot. Would you like to have his job? Why?
8. Have you ever been on an airplane? Where did you go? How long was the flight?
9. Melissa is an author. Would you like to have her job? Why?
10. What kinds of books did you like to read when you were a child?
11. Which of the five careers most appeals to you? Why?
12. Which of the five careers does not appeal to you? Why?
13. If you had to choose one of the five careers, which one would you choose? Why?