Advanced Vocab List 1
line up (verb) – to arrange, set up
We need to line up a band for the wedding.
“what’s all the fuss about” = “What’s the big deal?” or “What are you complaining about?”
“I don’t know what the fuss is all about” = “I don’t know what the big deal is” or “I don’t know why this is so important”
I read the Harry Potter books and I thought they were boring. I don’t know what the fuss is all about.
Many people in red shirts are yelling at the president. Do you know what the fuss is all about?
rude awakening – a shock, a sudden and unexpected surprise (usually bad news)
I studied very hard for the test, so it was a rude awakening to see that I failed.
transform (verb) – to change from one thing into another, to change from one form, appearance, type into another form, appearance, type
The caterpillar transforms into a butterfly.
I painted her bedroom and transformed it into a classroom.
spontaneous (adjective) – happens without cause or without planning
We’re on vacation, and you still have a schedule to plan our day! Why can’t you be more spontaneous?
My computer spontaneously stopped turned off; I can’t figure out why.
switch (verb) – to exchange; to change
I can’t see the movie. Could you switch seats with me?
This class was too boring, so we switched subjects and it got more interesting.
millennium (noun) – 1,000 years
Jesus lived in the first millennium. The year 2001 was the start of the third millennium.
disturbing (adjective) – makes you feel upset, worried, or uncomfortable
I heard the disturbing news that a child was kidnapped.
The horror movie was so disturbing that I couldn’t get to sleep. (I was too disturbed.)
Advanced Vocab List 1
1. Brian can’t teach on Friday nights, so we have to __________ teachers; Gen will teach the class from now on.
2. Everybody really likes Taipei, but I think it’s too big and dirty. I really don’t understand ____________________.
3. Humans have lived on the earth for several __________.
4. Could you help me __________ a band for my wedding?
5. I didn’t realize summers in Taiwan were so hot. It has been quite a __________.
6. We’re going to __________ our living room into a small restaurant.
7. Looking at pictures of dead people is very __________.
8. The airplane __________ exploded; nobody seems to understand why it happened.