Advanced Vocab List 20
1. This school gives prizes as an _______________ for children to behave themselves.
2. Some have suggested that cell phones may cause cancer, but that is _______________: science has yet to prove this.
3. Yesterday, the president said he would raise taxes. Today he said he would lower taxes. Now, he is being criticized because these two statements _______________ each other.
4. This factory’s equipment is _______________. We really need to get more up-to-date equipment.
5. The _______________ likes to pick on his classmates and steal their money.
6. I have many _______________ for choosing the ideal school: location, price, faculty, and facilities.
7. After campaigning for several months, Mr. Jones has _______________ as the favorite to win the presidential election.
8. I bought this antique lamp at an _______________ for only $3!
9. The public was _______________ when the president was caught taking bribes from oil companies.
10. The _______________media often reports on celebrities and sensationalism rather than reporting about the issues that really matter.
11. The college entrance exam is used by universities to _______________ your academic abilities and potential.
12. As more and more people begin using social networking sites like Facebook, some people predict that email may eventually become _______________.
13. It is important for students to be able to resist _______________. Just because your friends are doing something, doesn’t mean you have to do it too.
14. If you are afraid of flying, the bullet train (high speed rail) is a good _______________.
15. Even though our company increased its advertising budget by 20%, we have only had a _____________ improvement in profits.
16. You have to take a boat to that _______________ island, because it doesn’t have an airport.
17. After last month’s huge oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, most Americans _________________ oil companies and feel that they only care about profits.
18. The police were _______________, beating and arresting the protesters.
19. Nuns _______________ their lives to God.
20. In order to prevent a fire, you should _______________ that you turn off your oven before you leave the house.