Flight Safety Instructions
When you’re on a plane, you may hear a flight attendant give a speech like this:
momentarily – soon; in a moment
stowed securely – put away safely (“to stow” means to put something away, and “secure” means in a safe place)
overhead compartment – a “compartment” is a small place where you can put things; the “overhead compartments” are the places above the seat where people put their bags
devices – small machines, like games, mp3 players, DVD players, etc.
exits – where you leave (a plane, room, or building)
mark(ed) – to show where something is (the exits are “marked” with an “exit sign” showing a person walking through a door)
responsibilities – things that you should do or have to do
emergency – when something very serious happens and you need to act quickly (like a car accident, an earthquake, or a fire)
seat pocket – the “pocket” on the back of the seat in front of you, with magazines, safety instructions, etc.
unable to – cannot; not able to
loss of cabin pressure – the air in the airplane gets lighter or heavier, and it becomes harder to breathe
panels – small doors; flat pieces of wood, metal, plastic, etc.
oxygen masks – masks that help you breathe oxygen, for example, when there is a loss of cabin pressure
adjust – to change the position of something
as necessary – as you need to
fasten – to tighten
federal law – the law of a country
tampering with, disabling, or destroying – changing, turning off, or breaking
Fill in the blanks with a vocabulary word in the box below.
1. The questions that you got wrong are _______________ with an “X”.
2. You can adjust the volume of the TV _______________. If it is too loud, turn the volume down. If it is too quiet, turn the volume up.
3. Oxygen masks will drop down from the _______________ above your seat if there is a loss of cabin pressure.
4. In the event of an _______________, call the police.
5. The flight will be landing _______________, so please fasten your seatbelts and securely stow all electronic devices.
6. The _______________ sign shows a man walking out of a room.
7. People who are _______________ to walk can use wheelchairs.
8. If you are too hot, you can _______________ the temperature on the air conditioner.
9. The Japanese have invented many interesting electronic ______________.
10. _______________ law prohibits tampering with smoke detectors.
11. I have many _______________ at home, like taking out the trash and washing dishes.
12. According to federal law, you must _______________ your seatbelt when you are in a car.