There are many options for accommodation when you are on vacation. Most people stay in hotels; these can be cheap or expensive, they usually have several floors, and they may have a restaurant or swimming pool. A motel is like a cheap hotel, usually with only one or two floors, and you can park your car in front of your room. Or you can stay in a bed and breakfast. These are small, quaint and cozy places that offer a place to sleep and breakfast in the morning. Often these are run by families or individuals, and they may only have a few rooms.
options - choices
accommodation – places to stay (on vacation, for example)
motel/hotel/bed and breakfast/hostel – different types of accommodation
quaint – charming and cute (and a little old or traditional)
cozy - comfortable
offer – to provide, to make available, to give
individual – a single person or a single thing
budget (n.) - a plan for using an amount of money (adj.) – inexpensive; good for a limited budget
amenities – extra things that make you more comfortable (in a hotel, for example, amenities include a TV, pool, exercise room, etc.)
backpackers – people (usually young people) who travel a long distance with only a large backpack
dorm – a room with beds for several people
fraction – a number that is less than 1 (for example: ½, ¾); a small part
via – using (you can communicate via phone, email, or letter; you can travel via car, plane, or boat)
call ahead – to call before you arrive
vacancies – rooms (in a hotel, for example) that are not full
sightseeing – to visit interesting places and take pictures (usually when you are on vacation)
a dime a dozen – very common, very easy to get
Fill in the blanks with a vocabulary word in the box below.
2. Hmmm. . . . I don’t want a single bed, but a double bed might be too big. Are there any other _______________?
3. You can buy a used car for a _______________ of the cost of a new one.
4. My brother is a college student. He lives in a _____________.
5. If you want to go to the Olympics, you should book your __________ early.
6. I don’t want to buy six cans of soda. Can I just buy an ____________ can?
7. _______________ airlines are often cheaper, but they don’t have as many amenities as other airlines.
8. The waiter ______________ me a free glass of coffee.
9. My parents like to go _______________ when we go on vacation, but I would rather just look at the pictures.
10. You can travel to the island __________ boat or plane.
11. That sofa looks really soft and _______________.
12. Look! The sign says “____________!” We can stay in that hotel!