ESL Sentence Patterns:
[A] refers to [B]
Something – refers to – something else
to mention or represent something; to make reference to something
to talk about or mention something
to call something a certain name
Complete the sentences:
1. On a stoplight, red refers to _______________, green _________________, and yellow _______________.
2. I sometimes refer to my father as “___________________.”
3. If you forget my number, ________________________ the phone book.
4. The asterisk next to the word refers to ___________________________________.
5. If you forget the meaning of a word, you should refer to _______________________.
Answer the questions with complete sentences using “refer to.”
1. What do the letters “DOB” on your driver’s license refer to?
2.Does the word “Muslim” refer to a religion or to an ethnic group?
3. What does the “Table of Contents” in a book refer to?
4. What nickname to your friends refer to you as?
Back to ESL Writing
Stickyball.net Home: ESL Resources for Teachers