ESL Sentence Patterns:
[A] vary/varies from __ to__
[A] vary/varies from [B] to [B]
[A] is different for every [B]
*Be careful! If the subject is singular, use “varies.” If the subject is plural, use “vary.”
· The effects of this medicine vary from person to person.
· The shape of the moon varies from day to day.
· The textbooks vary from school to school.
· My opinion varies from day to day.
· The weather is so strange here! It seems like it varies from minute to minute.
[A] (alternatively) vary/varies from [B] to [C]
Sometimes [A] is [B], and sometimes it is [C]
· The weather alternatively varies from rainy to sunny in the summer.
· Reviews of the new movie vary from positive to negative.
· The shape of the moon varies from round to C-shaped.
· This music varies from loud to soft, fast to slow.· His mood varies from happy to sad depending on the time of day.
Complete the sentences, and circle either “vary” or “varies”:
1. ____________________________ vary/varies from day to day.
2. ____________________________ vary / varies from country to country.
3. ___________________________ vary/varies from class to class.
4. ___________________________ vary/varies from city to city.
5. ___________________________ vary/varies from person to person.
Now think of 2 different things to complete each sentence:
1. The earth’s climate varies from ____________ to ___________.
2. I’m 170cm tall, and my weight varies from _______ to _______.
3. That company’s cars vary from __________ to __________.
4. When I’m taking that medicine, my mood alternatively varies from _______________ to _______________, depending on the time of day.
Back to ESL Writing
Stickyball.net Home: ESL Resources for Teachers